Time: TuTh 1:45 - 3:00pm
Location: Tuesdays Physics 154, Thursdays online.
- (Math 221 or Math 218) and (Math 212 or Math 222)) or consent of instructor.
- Homework. There will be some longer homework assigmments occasionally which will give credit towards the final grade
- Take-home Final. Due: Sunday Nov 22, 5:00PM
- Mondays 10:00-11:00
- Wednesday 2:00-3:00
- Basic algebra of complex numbers
- Exponential form
- Analytic Functions
- Cauchy-Riemann equations
- Branches and derivatives of logarithms
- Branch Cuts
- Cauchy's Theorem
- Fundamental Theorem of Algebra
- Residues and Poles
- The Gamma Function and the Zeta Function
- Conformal Mappings
The course will be based on the text:
- J.W. Brown and R.V. Churchill, Complex Variables and Applications,
published by McGraw-Hill, eighth or ninth edition.
- L. Ahlfors, Complex Analysis, McGraw Hill.