Information on Transfer Credit for Math
This page is devoted to the discussion of credit for courses taken
outside of Duke, while a student is already enrolled at Duke. If
you are interested in credit for a course that you took prior to
enrolling at Duke, please visit: Duke
Getting Approval of Courses to be Taken
at Another School.
There are two steps that you should take before you enroll at another four-year
school in a math course for which you want credit at Duke.
- Apply for approval from the Mathematics Departmental.
- Seek approval from your academic dean for the course.
This page is devoted to describing the process of applying for transfer
credit from the Mathematics Department. For questions about Duke
transfer credit in general, consult the following:
Applying for Departmental Approval:
- Fill out and submit the Math Transfer Credit Application, found here: Math Transfer Credit Application
- Send an email to email@example.com, which includes the following:
Notes on Transfer Credit:
- A message indicating that you have submitted the Math Transfer Credit Application
- Your full name
- A detailed syllabus for the course you would like to
take (this should be the syllabus for the section in which you intend
to enroll, and can typically be obtained by emailing the
professor). It should include the text that will be used as well
as detailed schedule of topics to be covered
- Proof of satisfied pre-requisites for the desired
course. This can be achieved by attaching either a copy of your
academic history (found in ACES), or a copy of your transcript
- Sample midterms/final exams if available
- Transfer credit will not be approved for courses for which you do not satisfy the pre-requisites.
- Approval will be granted for courses that are deemed equivalent to Duke math courses, in both content and rigor.
- Once a decison has been made, you will be contacted via email.
- In the case of approval, you will be asked to submit the Transfer Credit Approval Form found here: http://trinity.duke.edu/undergraduate/academic-policies/transfer-credit
- Transfer credit decisions are handled only via the above described process. They are not discussed in person.
- For math majors, Math 401/501 and Math 431/531 must be taken at Duke.
- Some courses have a different code used for
transfer. In particular, Calculus I taken elsewhere is coded as
Math 121, whereas Calculus II taken elsewhere is coded as Math 122.
- If you receive transfer credit for Math 121, and
intend to take Calculus II in the fall semester at Duke, you must
enroll in Math 122L.
Study Abroad Credit:
If you would like to apply for transfer credit for courses taken while studying abroad, please read through https://www.math.duke.edu/undergraduate/studyabroad.html and email the requested materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.