Department of Mathematics
Site map | Search

Duke University


Information on Transfer Credit for Math Courses

This page is devoted to the discussion of credit for courses taken outside of Duke, while a student is already enrolled at Duke.  If you are interested in credit for a course that you took prior to enrolling at Duke, please visit: Duke Prematriculation Credit.


Getting Approval of Courses to be Taken at Another School.

There are two steps that you should take before you enroll at another four-year school in a math course for which you want credit at Duke.
  1. Apply for approval from the Mathematics Departmental.
  2. Seek approval from your academic dean for the course.

This page is devoted to describing the process of applying for transfer credit from the Mathematics Department.  For questions about Duke transfer credit in general, consult the following:
Applying for Departmental Approval:
  1. Fill out and submit the Math Transfer Credit Application, found here: Math Transfer Credit Application
  2. Send an email to, which includes the following:
  • A message indicating that you have submitted the Math Transfer Credit Application
  • Your full name
  • A detailed syllabus for the course you would like to take (this should be the syllabus for the section in which you intend to enroll, and can typically be obtained by emailing the professor).  It should include the text that will be used as well as detailed schedule of topics to be covered
  • Proof of satisfied pre-requisites for the desired course.  This can be achieved by attaching either a copy of your academic history (found in ACES), or a copy of your transcript
  • Sample midterms/final exams if available
Notes on Transfer Credit:
  • Transfer credit will not be approved for courses for which you do not satisfy the pre-requisites.
  • Approval will be granted for courses that are deemed equivalent to Duke math courses, in both content and rigor.
  • Once a decison has been made, you will be contacted via email.
  • In the case of approval, you will be asked to submit the Transfer Credit Approval Form found here:
  • Transfer credit decisions are handled only via the above described process.  They are not discussed in person.
  • For math majors, Math 401/501 and Math 431/531 must be taken at Duke.
  • Some courses have a different code used for transfer.  In particular, Calculus I taken elsewhere is coded as Math 121, whereas Calculus II taken elsewhere is coded as Math 122.
  • If you receive transfer credit for Math 121, and intend to take Calculus II in the fall semester at Duke, you must enroll in Math 122L.

Study Abroad Credit:

If you would like to apply for transfer credit for courses taken while studying abroad, please read through and email the requested materials to 
ph:  919.660.2800
fax: 919.660.2821

Mathematics Department
Duke University, Box 90320
Durham, NC 27708-0320