MAA PREP Workshop:
Authoring Online Materials
Free Software to Download
Descriptions of the Software
In addition to Maple and Dreamweaver, we will be using the following free software during the workshop.
During the workshop, teams will be able to post materials on the Duke server for others in the workshop to access. We need some software to do this in a secure manner.
- AOL Instant Messenger : This will provide a quick and non-obtrusive method for text communication among the participants.
- VNC : This software enables one or more users to control or just view a remote desktop in real time. You will use this extensively to view general presentations given at the workshop and to present your own materials on the last day. We will also use this software as necessary for consultations between the workshop directors and individual teams.
- Robust Audio Tool/Quicktime : Our main use of this will be to provide the audio component for general presentations. However, it also allows conference-call style audio meetings. We will experiment with this use as well.
- TeraTerm SSH : This software enables encrypted communication with the Duke Mathematics Department server. You will need to use this when you are transferring files to Duke.
- WinSCP2 : This file transfer software provides a quick way to move files between local and remote machines in a secure fashion for setting up web pages.
Getting the Software
Please select the link below that corresponds to the Operating System you will be using during the Workshop
Return to the main workshop page
- Windows : Includes Win95/98/ME and WinNT/2000/XP
- Macintosh : Includes OS 8.6 and higher and MacOS X
- Unix : Packages available for RedHat Linux and Source Links for other distributions/platforms.