Criteria for judging mathlets
as identified by Chautauqua participants
- Interactivity -- what does the
- Pedagogical design
- Real-world applications
- Is it self-explanatory?
- Student control
- Is the source code available?
- Multiple representations: symbols,
- Does it need the web?
- Does it give insight?
- How robust is the code -- can
students break it?
- Does it have exercises, games,
other forms of checking understanding?
- Integration: can the user do everything
needed from the same page
- Does it address a need (as identified
by the teacher)?
- How does one verify correctness
How do we get students to be skeptical about them?
- Assessment issues -- how do we
tell what has been learned?
- Is this better than other approaches
at stimulating conceptual understanding?