GEOMETRY FESTIVAL SPEAKERS AND TITLES
1985 at Penn:
- Marcel Berger,
- Pat Eberlein,
- Jost Eschenburg,
- Friedrich Hirzebruch,
- Blaine Lawson,
- Leon Simon,
- Scott Wolpert,
- Deane Yang
1986 at Maryland:
- Uwe Abresch, "Explicit constant mean curvature tori"
- Zhi-yong Gao, "The existence of negatively Ricci curved metrics"
- David Hoffman, "New results in the global theory of minimal surfaces"
- Jack Lee, "Conformal geometry and the Yamabe problem"
- Ngai-ming Mok, "Compact Kaehler manifolds of non-negative curvature"
- John Morgan, "Self dual connections and the topology of 4 manifolds"
- Chuu-lian Terng, "Submanifolds with flat normal bundle"
1987 at Penn:
- Robert Bryant, "The construction of metrics with exceptional holonomy"
- Francis Bonahon, "Hyperbolic 3-manifolds with arbitrarily short geodesics"
- Keith Burns, "Geodesic flows on the 2-sphere"
- Andreas Floer, "Instantons and Casson's invariant"
- Hermann Karcher, "Embedded minimal surfaces in the 3-sphere"
- Jurgen Moser, "Minimal foliations of tori"
- Ed Witten. "Applications of quantum field theory to topology"
1988 at North Carolina:
- Detleff Gromoll, "On complete spaces of nonnegative Ricci curvature"
- Nicolaos Kapouleas, "Constant mean curvature surfaces in E^3"
- Robert Osserman, "Gauss map of complete minimal surfaces"
- Pierre Pansu (Colloquium), "L^p-cohomology of negatively curved manifolds"
- Peter Petersen, "Bounding homotopy types by geometry"
- Gang Tian, "Kaehler-Einstein metrics on quasiprojective manifolds"
- DaGang Yang, "Some new examples of manifolds of positive Ricci curvature"
- Wolfgang Ziller, "Recent results on Einstein metrics"
1989 at Stony Brook:
- Eugenio Calabi, "Extremal singular metrics on surfaces"
- Harold Donnelly, "Nodal sets of eigenfunctions on riemannian manifolds"
- Yasha Eliashberg, "Symplectic geometric methods in several complex variables"
- Thomas Farrell, "A topological analogue of Mostow's rigidity theorem"
- Lesley Sibner, "Solutions to Yang-Mills equations which are not self-dual"
- Carlos Simpson, "Moduli spaces of representations of fundamental groups"
1990 at Maryland:
- Mike Anderson, "Behavior of metrics under Ricci curvature bounds"
- Kevin Corlette, "Harmonic maps and geometric superrigidity"
- Kenji Fukaya, "Fundamental groups of almost non-negatively curved manifolds"
- Misha Gromov (Colloquium), "Recent progress in symplectic geometry"
- Werner Muller, "On spectral theory for locally symmetric manifolds with finite volume"
- Rick Schoen, "Least area problems for Lagrangian submanifolds"
- Gudlaugur Thorbergsson, "Isoparametric submanifolds and their Tits buildings"
- Shing-Tung Yau, "Some theorems in Kahler geometry"
1991 at Duke:
- Jeff Cheeger, "Transgressed Euler classes of SL(2n,Z)-bundles and adiabatic limits of eta-invariants"
- Chris Croke, "Volumes of balls in manifolds without conjugate points and rigidity of geodesic flows"
- Carolyn Gordon, "When you can't hear the shape of a manifold"
- Wu-Yi Hsiang, "Sphere packing and spherical geometry: The Kepler conjecture and beyond"
- Alan Nadel, "On the geometry of Fano varieties"
- Grigori Perelman, "Alexandrov's spaces with curvature bounded from below"
- Stefan Stolz, "On the space of positive curvature metrics modulo diffeomorphisms"
1992 at NYU/Courant:
- Jonathan Block, "Aperiodic tilings, positive scalar curvature and other homological phenomena"
- John Franks, "Infinitely many closed geodesics on the 2-sphere"
- Karsten Grove, "The inevitable presence of singular spaces in riemannian geometry"
- Lisa Jeffrey, "Volumes of moduli spaces of flat connections on Riemannian surfaces"
- Jun Li, "Anti-self-dual connections on SU(2) bundles over algebraic surfaces"
- Dusa McDuff, "Symplectic 4-manifolds"
- Clifford Taubes, "Anti-self dual conformal structures in 4 dimensions"
1993 at Penn:
- Shing-Shen Chern, "Finsler geometry"
- Richard Hamilton, "An isoperimetric estimate for the curve-shrinking flow"
- Vaughan Jones, "Loop groups and operator algebras"
- Claude LeBrun, "Compact Kaehler manifolds of constant scalar curvature"
- Louis Nirenberg, "The maximum principle and related things"
- Xiaochun Rong, "Collapsing in low dimensions and rationality of geometric invariants"
- I. M. Singer, "Geometry and quantum field theory"
1995 at Stony Brook:
- Dimitri Burago, "Asymptotic geometry of Z^n-periodic metrics"
- Tobias Colding, "Ricci curvature and convergence"
- Dominic Joyce, "Compact riemannian manifolds with exceptional holonomy groups"
- Yael Karshon, "Hamiltonian torus actions"
- David Morrison, "Analogues of Seiberg-Witten invariants for counting curves on Calabi-Yau manifolds"
- Tom Mrowka, "The Seiberg-Witten equations and 4-manifold topology"
- Yongbin Ruan, "Higher genus pseudo-holomorphic curves"
- Edward Witten (Colloquium), "Monopoles and four-manifolds"
1996 at Maryland:
- J. Baez, "Quantum gravity and BF theory in 4 dimensions"
- Jean-Luc Brylinski, "Gauge groups and reciprocity laws on algebraic varieties"
- Bruce Kleiner, "Spaces of nonpositive curvature"
- G. Margulis, "Quantitative Oppenheim Conjecture"
- S. P. Novikov, "Laplace and Darboux transformations"
- Richard Schwartz, "The Devil's Pentagram"
- Guofong Wei, "Volume comparison with integral curvature bounds"
- Shmuel Weinberger (Colloquium), "Equivariant rigidity: For and against"