| 23rd Annual
Geometry Festival Speakers
1985 at Penn:
- Marcel Berger
- Pat Eberlein
- Jost Eschenburg
- Friedrich Hirzebruch
- Blaine Lawson
- Leon Simon
- Scott Wolpert
- Deane Yang
1986 at Maryland:
- Uwe Abresch, "Explicit constant mean curvature
- Zhi-yong Gao, "The existence of negatively
Ricci curved metrics"
- David Hoffman, "New results in the global
theory of minimal surfaces"
- Jack Lee, "Conformal geometry and the Yamabe
- Ngai-ming Mok, "Compact Kähler
manifolds of non-negative curvature"
- John Morgan, "Self dual connections and the
topology of 4-manifolds"
- Chuu-lian Terng, "Submanifolds with flat normal
1987 at Penn:
- Robert Bryant, "The construction of metrics
with exceptional holonomy"
- Francis Bonahon, "Hyperbolic 3-manifolds with
arbitrarily short geodesics"
- Keith Burns, "Geodesic flows on the 2-sphere"
- Andreas Floer, "Instantons and Casson's
- Hermann Karcher, "Embedded minimal surfaces in
- Jürgen Moser, "Minimal foliations of
- Ed Witten. "Applications of quantum field
theory to topology"
1988 at North Carolina:
- Detlef Gromoll, "On complete spaces of
- Nicolas Kapouleas, "Constant mean curvature
surfaces in E3"
- Robert Osserman, "Gauss map of complete minimal
- Pierre Pansu, "Lp-cohomology
of negatively curved
- Peter Petersen, "Bounding homotopy types by
- Gang Tian, "Kähler-Einstein metrics on
- DaGang Yang, "Some new examples of manifolds of
- Wolfgang Ziller, "Recent results on Einstein
1989 at Stony Brook:
- Eugenio Calabi, "Extremal singular metrics on
- Harold Donnelly, "Nodal sets of eigenfunctions
- Yasha Eliashberg, "Symplectic geometric methods
in several complex
- Thomas Farrell, "A topological analogue of
- Lesley Sibner, "Solutions to Yang-Mills
equations which are not
- Carlos Simpson, "Moduli spaces of
representations of fundamental
1990 at Maryland:
- Michael T. Anderson, "Behavior of metrics under
- Kevin Corlette, "Harmonic maps and geometric
- Kenji Fukaya, "Fundamental groups of almost
- Misha Gromov, "Recent progress in symplectic
- Werner Müller, "On spectral theory for
locally symmetric manifolds
with finite volume"
- Rick Schoen, "Least area problems for
- Gudlaugur Thorbergsson, "Isoparametric
submanifolds and their Tits
- Shing-Tung Yau, "Some theorems in
1991 at Duke:
- Jeff Cheeger, "Transgressed Euler classes of
SL(2n,Z)-bundles and adiabatic
limits of eta-invariants"
- Chris Croke, "Volumes of balls in manifolds
without conjugate points and
rigidity of geodesic flows"
- Carolyn Gordon, "When you can't hear the shape
of a manifold"
- Wu-Yi Hsiang, "Sphere packing and spherical
geometry: The Kepler conjecture
- Alan Nadel, "On the geometry of Fano varieties"
- Grigori Perelman, "Alexandrov's spaces with
curvature bounded from
- Stefan Stolz, "On the space of positive
curvature metrics modulo
1992 at NYU/Courant:
- Jonathan Block, "Aperiodic tilings, positive
scalar curvature and other
- John Franks, "Infinitely many closed geodesics
on the 2-sphere"
- Karsten Grove, "The inevitable presence of
singular spaces in Riemannian
- Lisa Jeffrey, "Volumes of moduli spaces of flat
connections on Riemannian
- Jun Li, "Anti-self-dual connections on SU(2)
bundles over algebraic
- Dusa McDuff, "Symplectic 4-manifolds"
- Clifford Taubes, "Anti-self dual conformal
structures in 4 dimensions"
1993 at Penn:
- Shing-Shen Chern, "Finsler geometry"
- Richard Hamilton, "An isoperimetric estimate
for the curve-shrinking
- Vaughan Jones, "Loop groups and operator
- Claude LeBrun, "Compact Kähler
manifolds of constant scalar
- Louis Nirenberg, "The maximum principle and
- Xiaochun Rong, "Collapsing in low dimensions
and rationality of geometric
- I. M. Singer, "Geometry and quantum field
1995 at Stony Brook:
- Dimitri Burago, "Asymptotic geometry of Zn-periodic
- Tobias Colding, "Ricci curvature and
- Dominic Joyce, "Compact Riemannian manifolds
with exceptional holonomy
- Yael Karshon, "Hamiltonian torus actions"
- David Morrison, "Analogues of Seiberg-Witten
invariants for counting curves
on Calabi-Yau manifolds"
- Tom Mrowka, "The Seiberg-Witten equations and
- Yongbin Ruan, "Higher genus pseudo-holomorphic
- Edward Witten, "Monopoles and four-manifolds"
1996 at Maryland:
- J. Baez, "Quantum gravity and BF theory in 4
- Jean-Luc Brylinski, "Gauge groups and
reciprocity laws on algebraic
- Bruce Kleiner, "Spaces of nonpositive curvature"
- G. Margulis, "Quantitative Oppenheim Conjecture"
- S. P. Novikov, "Laplace and Darboux
- Richard Schwartz, "The Devil's Pentagram"
- Guofong Wei, "Volume comparison with integral
- Shmuel Weinberger, "Equivariant rigidity: For
- Jeanne Nielsen Clelland , "Geometry of
Conservation Laws for Parabolic
- Anatole Katok , "Rigidity and invariant
geometric structures for
differentiable group actions"
- François Labourie , "Monge-Ampere
problems, holomorphic curves and
- Gang Liu, "Floer Homology and the Arnold
- William Minicozzi, "Harmonic functions on
- Lorenz Schwachhöfer, "The
classification of irreducible holonomies
of torsion free connections"
- Matthias Schwarz, "Symplectic fixed points and
- Stephen Semmes, "Geometry with little
- Scott Axelrod, "Generalized Chern-Simons
invariants as a generalized
Lagrangian field theory"
- Jean-Michel Bismut, "Chern-Simons classes,
Bott Chern classes and analytic
- Spencer Bloch, "Algebro-geometric Chern-Simons
- Robert Bryant, "Recent progress on the
holonomy classification problem"
- Robert Bryant (for S.-S. Chern), "Recent
results and open problems in Finsler geometry"
- Jeff Cheeger and Blaine Lawson, "The
mathematical work of James Simons"
- Jeff Cheeger, "Ricci Curvature"
- Jürg Fröhlich, "Physics and
the Chern-Simons form
(from anomalies to the quantum Hall effect to magnetic stars)"
- Mikhail Gromov, "Dynamics on function spaces"
- Maxim Kontsevich, "On regulators, critical
values and q-factorials"
- Blaine Lawson, "Connections and singularities
- Robert MacPherson, "Spaces with torus actions"
- John Milnor, "Remarks on geometry and dynamics"
- I.M. Singer, TBA
- Dennis Sullivan "A combinatorial model for
- Clifford Taubes, "Seiberg-Witten invariants,
harmonic forms, and their
- Gang Tian, "Yang-Mills connections and
- C.-N. Yang, "Vector potentials and connections"
- S.-T. Yau, "Mirror symmetry and rational curves"
1999 at Penn:
- Peter Sarnak, "Some spectral problems on
- Zheng-xu He, "The gradient flow for the
Möbius energy of
- Curtis McMullen, "The moduli space of Riemann
- Paul Biran, "Lagrange skeletons and symplectic
- Helmut Hofer, Holomorphic curves and contact
- Werner Ballmann, "On negative curvature and the
essential spectrum of
- Shlomo Sternberg, "Multiplets of
representations and Kostant's Dirac
- Samuel Ferguson, "The Kepler Conjecture"
- Robert Meyerhoff, "Rigorous computer-aided
proofs in the theory of hyperbolic 3-manifolds"
- Herman Gluck, "Geometry, topology and plasma
- Burkhard Wilking, "New examples of manifolds
with positive sectional curvature almost everywhere"
- John Roe, "Amenability and assembly maps"
- Eleny Ionel, "Gromov invariants of symplectic
- Mikhail Gromov, "Spaces of holomorphic maps"
- Robert Bryant, "Rigidity and quasirigidity of
extremal cycles in Hermitian
- Tobias Colding, "Embedded minimal surfaces in
- Boris Dubrovin, "Normal forms of integrable
- John Lott, "Heat equation methods in
- Dusa McDuff, "Seminorms on the Hamiltonian
group and the nonsqueezing
- Rick Schoen, "Variational approaches to the
construction minimal lagrangian
- Shing-Tung Yau, "Mirror symmetry"
- Denis Auroux,
"Singular plane curves and topological invariants of symplectic
- Hugh Bray, "On the mass of higher dimensional
- Alice Chang, "Conformally invariant operators
and the Gauss-Bonnet
- Xiuxiong Chen,"The space of Kähler
- George Daskalopoulos,"On the Yang-Mills flow in
- Alex Eskin, "Billiards and lattices"
- Juha Heinonen, "On the existence of
2004 at Courant:
Hypoelliptic Laplacian on the Cotangent Bundle
Loops of Contact Transformations
Hulls and the Projective Gelfand Transformation
of J-holomorphic Curves
splitting structures on nonpositively curved manifolds
topology in string backgrounds
Metrics and Holomorphic Discs
Theory Scattering From Curves In CP3
existence of quasiregular mappings
solutions of Hamilton 's equations on tori
hypersurfaces and curvature estimates in general relativity
structure of mean curvature flow
up Kahler manifolds with constant scalar curvature
topological view of Gromov-Witten theory
waves and Einstein geometry
of singular metrics in algebraic geometry
theories in symplectic topology and gauge theory
- Jeff Cheeger (Courant)
nonembedding and embedding
- Charles Fefferman (Princeton
Fitting a smooth function to data
- Helmut Hofer (Courant)
On the analytic and geometric
foundations of symplectic field theory
- Ko Honda (University of Southern California)
Reeb vector fields and open book
- William Meeks (University of Massachusetts)
The Dynamics Theorem for embedded minimal
- Yair Minsky (Yale University)
Asymptotic geometry of the mapping class group
- Frank Morgan (Williams College)
Manifolds with Density
- Zoltan Szabo (Princeton University)
Link Floer homology and the Thurston norm